Friday, September 29, 2006

Why Forgiveness Matters

There have been occassions when planning services for church when I have thought of omitting the confession. But as I reflected upon this today (thinking about next Sunday’s service), I realise that for me at least, the confession is such an important part of the service. I am aware of how often I fail God by my thoughts, words and actions, and how much I am in need of God’s mercy and forgiveness. Every time I come to worship him, it is like standing before a bright light that shows up all the stains in my life, and I become so aware of how much I need God’s cleansing (we cannot hide anything from God - he knows all the secrets of our heart). Paul in Romans 3:23 writes that “All of us have sinned and fallen short of God’s glory.” It is so easy to go our own way in life, rather than God’s, often this isn’t a great act of rebellion, it is just that we ignore him. I think that sometimes people assume that because I am ordained, I somehow struggle less with sin, or temptation than other people - how often I wish this was true, but it is not. The need to be forgiven is our greatest need, whether we recognise it or not.

The good news is that even when we turn away from God, God doesn’t stop loving us, and we can turn to him again and again. The apostle John writes, “If we confess our sins, he (God) is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” And in Lamentations 3:22-23 we read, “Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” I am so grateful that God is a God of second, third, fourth… etc., chances. That each day we can start afresh with him, that through the cross he has dealt with our sin, and given us the chance of new life. Of course, it is important we try to put a stop to that sinful behaviour, we need to heed Jesus’ words spoken to the women caught committing adultery, ”Sin no more.” Simply asking God to forgive me for my wrong behaviour, but having no intention to do anything to change it is not an option. But it is not easy, we need God’s help, and the support of our fellow Christians. Accountability is very important, one thing that I have greatly valued is the support of Christian friends, who I know I can be open and honest with, and who will not judge or condemn me, but support and pray for me.

We do fail, and make mistakes, but God is always there for us, waiting to pick us up and help us to start again. I for one, am so grateful for God’s forgiveness.

No comments: