Saturday, February 10, 2007

How to prepare for global Warming

It's been a strange week for weather. Last Saturday I cut the lawn for the first time because the grass was growing so fast and getting so long, a consequence of the incredibly mild winter we've been having. I would normally start cutting the lawn a month later. There has often been only 10 degrees difference between the temperatures we've been having here in Britain during winter, to what they've been having in NZ during their summer. It really felt like spring had come early.

Is it spring?

But then a few days later, we have two days of heavy snow and sub zero temperatures (heavy by our standards anyway!) I have to confess I always get a bit embarrassed with the way Britain grinds to a hault with what, although quite a heavy snow fall, was nothing special by European standards. For example, when I visit Poland during winter, it is not uncommon to find the pavement covered in 4 inches of ice, but people still manage to get to school and work.

or winter?

You don't need to be a scientist to know that significant climate change is taking place, you can see it all around. Since we've had spring and winter in one week, I'm getting ready for the start of summer, which I recon will be with us by Tuesday, by bring the BBQ set out from storage, and digging out the shorts and sandals. I'll then be getting out the big jumpers for the onset of autumn (which will probably be here by next weekend).

No comments: